Sunday, September 2, 2012

No Ordinary Rabbit

UPDATE: There are multiple confirmations, so it's very likely that the Darkmoon Rabbit is live as of 5.0.4. So far I've only heard of EU servers being graced with the rabbit's presence, but since the spawn rate seems random, we'll see later in the day about other regions.

I'm curious to find out if you have to be part of the raid group, with the person that tagged the Darkmoon Rabbit first, to be eligible to roll on the pet and receive credit for the achievement. On the beta, you don't have to be part of the raid or group to receive credit for killing a quest mob; you just have to do some damage to the mob. But I don't know if this applies to world bosses as well.

---------

The Darkmoon Faire is back in town! But wait, wasn't there something new about the faire? Something with a vicious streak a mile wide, perhaps? ;)

I'm referring to the new level ?? raid boss, the Darkmoon Rabbit (who drops a pet of the same name), that spawns in the Darkmoon Island Cave. It's only accessible when the DMF is open. On the beta, it had 72 million health, but I've read new reports that it's been bumped up to 174 million.

The Darkmoon Rabbit has quite a nasty attack and puts a debuff on players, reducing all healing done to them by 100% and causes the loss of control over your character for the duration of the debuff.

Originally, it was possible to kill it with combat pets (example: hunter, mage and warlock pets), since the Darkmoon Rabbit couldn't put the debuff on minions. However, I heard that this was changed and now pets aren't as effective as before. I can't confirm this, though, so don't quote me on that lol.

Since this boss is such a fierce creature, it's a wonder how we'll kill it. Some speculate that Indalamar's New Holy Hand Grenade will be required, but there's no information on how or where this weapon comes from.

The biggest mystery, though, is whether or not this rabbit is live with Patch 5.0.4.

I just checked the cave on my server and found it empty. I plan on waiting around for a while to see if it shows up, but I have my doubts. Since this boss seems like a rarespawn, I might end up waiting a while before it shows up. Or it might really be NYI.

There were a few recent comments on Wowhead, one saying that the Darkmoon Rabbit is live, while the other said that it isn't. It's hard to tell who's trolling and who's being truthful.

I guess we're going to have to wait to find out whether or not the Darkmoon Rabbit is live or if we'll have to wait until MoP.

13 comments:

  1. I can confirm that the Rabbit is live on the 5.0.4 servers now and does indeed hit hunter/lock/DK pets as hard as it does on Players.

    Makes this a real pain to kill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous: Thanks for confirming!

      Do you know if anyone who hits the Darkmoon Rabbit becomes eligible for the achievement and pet (even if they're not in the raid with the person that originally tagged it)?

      Delete
  2. it just killed me and a guildie on Khadgar Eu a few timees, so definitly on live servers in 5.0.4
    Tried it with my hunter too and it more or less one shot my pet, so using pet's to tank him doesn't work anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Piazadora: Sounds like a raid is necessary is kill it!

      Do you know if anyone who hits the Darkmoon Rabbit becomes eligible for the achievement and pet (even if they're not in the raid with the person that originally tagged it)?

      Delete
  3. In a 40 man raid to kill him atm, and we got him to about 40% before he resett....

    And now it's bugged and it's evading :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 40man raid on Draenor took him down approx 2hrs ago. All in the group were able to roll and one lucky fella/lady won the pet; Gothira.

    If chased into the water he can get stuck in the evade state as mentioned by Piazadora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pixie of Doom: I've read that a few raid parties had it reset on them. So I guess pro-tip would be to fight the rabbit inside the cave rather than out in the cave.

      Delete
  5. The alliance on my server were killing it, I hopped on my alliance character, I was NOT in the raid, he was greyed out. I did hit him a few times, I DID NOT GET THE ACHIEVEMENT when he died. or pet, or anything. *cry*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @pandy: I'm so sorry. :(

      This encounter is a real mess in general tbh. I can't imagine why devs thought it would be a good idea. It's buggy, easy to grief, and pretty frustrating.

      Delete
    2. apparently only one pet is distributed, so good luck. BUT a friend of mine was looking further into it and said a group of 8 level 88 players could do it, so. Level 90 should be even easier. I mean, it's hard NOW because we're low level, and don't have the stats or HP that pandaria will be giving us. It's BoE, so basically I'm hoping that later on I'll be able to 8-10 man the damn rabbit and have my friends give me the pet.

      Only prob I can see now is that I'm on a PVP server...

      also, wanted to say that every time I go to reply to a post, the security words are hard to make out, so I rarely want to comment lol.

      Delete
    3. @pandy: It better be much easier at level 90 or I might be stuck in permanent rage mode heh.

      I'm on a PVP server as well. I figure that if there's too much faction griefing going on, I can always try on a PVE realm instead. Just need to get a character to 85 on the new server... :\

      And I removed the security word thing, so it should be easier to comment now lol. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a pet that seriously irritates me, almost to the point of quitting (haven't decided yet). At the moment the crawling claw is the only in game pet (not counting tcg/ promo pets, only things achieveable soley inside the game)I've not got despite a couple of hundred tol'vir solves.

    Up until cata pet collecting was something pretty much solo orientated. The addition of guild pets annoyed me a bit but I'm in a big guild so not too much of an issue, just time. tarecgosa was another matter as we're not really a raiding guild but after our first person left a few weeks before completeing we final got it a couple of months ago.

    In MoP there is a pet for getting gold challenge runs, I seriously doubt I'll see that unless I leave the guild and i'm not prepared to do that.

    If the rabbit was a pet awarded from the achievement, no problem.

    As it is though,

    It's rarespawn (possible every few hours), available only one week a month, only one person per raid get's it and it's BoE meaning that everyone will always roll need for it meaning there's no diminishing return were people who have it don't need to roll. It's a megafrustration just waiting to happen and quitting rather than giving myself an embolism might be a more sensible approach.

    Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous: Don't be sorry, I totally hear you. I'm not happy with the way this pet was implemented either.

      Delete

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.